St. John the Baptist Lodge was the first Lodge to be formed in the county of Bedfordshire, its original number was 698.
It was consecrated in Luton, then a town with a population of about 5,000 on 29th July 1841. The Consecrating officer was the Master of the Lodge of Israel No. 247. Bro. George Aarons who was renowned as a wonderful ritualist, and because of his affliction was known as ‘Blind Aarons’.